• You cannot start a new topic

1947 Stinson 108-2 Brakes Cleveland Brake conversion

User is offline   Rich 

• Founder
  • Pip
  • Group: Registered Member
  • Aircraft Flown:1947 Stinson 108-2 Voyager
Hello,

I just bought a 1947 Stinson 108-2. It appears to have been upgraded with Cleveland brakes. However, I'm not sure if they were installed properly. In what position on the hub should the caliper be positioned? Currently, they are positioned horizontally, at the center of the hub, and very close to the struts, almost touching them, with little or no room for expansion. There appears to be a "horseshoe" indentation on the inside of the caliper. I was wondering if that indentation was meant to fit around the strut? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 100_0346.JPG
  • Attached Image: 100_0349.JPG

User is offline   Larry Wheelock 

• Founder
  • Pip
  • Aircraft Flown:Stinson 108 Series
    Taylorcraft
    Aeronca Champ
    J-3
    PA-12
    Aeronca L-16B
    Aeronca Chief
    C-170
Rich,
From the photos, it appears that the brakes are installed wrong. I see wheel pant brackets and someone has installed them in a manner to minimize or eleminate the necessary cutout that has to be made in the wheel pants to accomodate Cleveland brakes.
The only legal way to install Clevelands on a Stinson 108 Series without having to have a form 337 is to purchase the Univair kit which has the installation drawing. The drawing calls for the wheel cylinders to be mounted forward of the landing gear beam.
It also includes short flex hoses to go between the stock aluminum brake fluid lines to the wheel cylinders. What a lot of people, including some A&Ps don't understand is that the wheel cylinders (calipers) on the Clevelands must be free to slide back and forth in the guide pins. The old Goodyear brakes were fixed calipers and used a sliding disk in the wheels.
So, the cylinders must be mounted in such a manner that they are free to slide back and forth, and modifications to the wheel pants have to be made and the landing gear fairing and possible the wheel pant brackets to allow this free movement. If the calipers are not free to move, you won't have good brakes!
I just now joined this forum, so hope you have solved the problem a couple of months ago.
Larry Wheelock, 108 owner for 40 years, A&P, IA

QUOTE (Rich @ Oct 2 2007, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,

I just bought a 1947 Stinson 108-2. It appears to have been upgraded with Cleveland brakes. However, I'm not sure if they were installed properly. In what position on the hub should the caliper be positioned? Currently, they are positioned horizontally, at the center of the hub, and very close to the struts, almost touching them, with little or no room for expansion. There appears to be a "horseshoe" indentation on the inside of the caliper. I was wondering if that indentation was meant to fit around the strut? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

User is offline   stinson 

• Founder
  • Pip
  • Interests:Flying<br />Hunting<br />Fishing
  • Aircraft Flown:Stinson 108-3
    Aeronca 7AC
Larry is correct.
The Cleveland dwg 50-58 shows the caliper forward of the
axle and at 30 degrees above the horizonal.
The flex hose does enter the top, which makes
bleeding them fun.
Hope this helps.
The other Larry

QUOTE (Larry Wheelock @ Dec 30 2007, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rich,
From the photos, it appears that the brakes are installed wrong. I see wheel pant brackets and someone has installed them in a manner to minimize or eleminate the necessary cutout that has to be made in the wheel pants to accomodate Cleveland brakes.
The only legal way to install Clevelands on a Stinson 108 Series without having to have a form 337 is to purchase the Univair kit which has the installation drawing. The drawing calls for the wheel cylinders to be mounted forward of the landing gear beam.
It also includes short flex hoses to go between the stock aluminum brake fluid lines to the wheel cylinders. What a lot of people, including some A&Ps don't understand is that the wheel cylinders (calipers) on the Clevelands must be free to slide back and forth in the guide pins. The old Goodyear brakes were fixed calipers and used a sliding disk in the wheels.
So, the cylinders must be mounted in such a manner that they are free to slide back and forth, and modifications to the wheel pants have to be made and the landing gear fairing and possible the wheel pant brackets to allow this free movement. If the calipers are not free to move, you won't have good brakes!
I just now joined this forum, so hope you have solved the problem a couple of months ago.
Larry Wheelock, 108 owner for 40 years, A&P, IA

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users